Friday, September 16, 2011

May the Force Kick George Lucas's Butt

So . . . today marks the release of the first Star Wars Blu-Ray sets, and like any good film nerd, I have already picked up my copy.  Now, before you groan and complain, allow me to make a few contradictory points.  I do rationalize my purchase in this post, but also bellyache about the same changes to the movies that you hate too.  I don't think there are many people, especially of my generation, that are fans of what Lucas has done to change the original movies.  But isn't that his prerogative?  Which gets to a bigger question: who owns art?  The artist, or the audience?

I don't think that there is much dispute that George Lucas owns the rights to the entire Star Wars franchise and all of its components.  He made a shrewd (and, at the time, probably risky) move to take less money up front so that he could retain the merchandising rights, which back in 1977 were worth less than the empty oil drum that Sarah Palin snorted coke off of.  But he also gave the world these films, and with them the memories of our childhood enjoyment of them.  We didn't want big CGI creatures obstructing the action; we liked them how they were.

Let me ask you this.  If the Rolling Stones decided tomorrow that they were removing their entire catalogue from sale and replacing them with re-recordings of the same songs on harmonica, ukelele and theremin, would they have the right to do that?  Actually, that sounds pretty cool, so let me change the example - if they re-recorded the songs with this guy singing lead, and that was the only way you could get the music, would that be acceptable?  Sure, you could listen to old recordings, and plenty of those exist in multiple formats (just like the original versions of the Star Wars movies), but if you wanted the most up-to-date format (whatever that will be in the future for audio . . . maybe compact vinyl?) you would have to take the new versions.

Now let me make this clear: despite the hyperbole around Lucas's changes, some of which go to far (like this one), they don't render the movies unwatchable.  Most are relatively minor, the overall story isn't changed (even if details are like Greedo shooting first), and there's still a lot to like.  The changes are more of a distraction than anything else.  What we remember isn't what we see on the screen.  And what we see on the screen is not an enhancement over the original.

It's pretty clear at this point that George Lucas's strength is not directing (or even writing), just as Hayden Christiansen's strength is clearly not acting.  Instead, Lucas has excelled at creating a rich universe and compelling plot.  The problem is that he has free reign to tinker with his creation to his heart's content, because there's no one around to tell him not to.  And as long as we keep buying the updated versions, the response he receives is overwhelmingly positive.

So if I detest the changes, why did I buy the Blu-Ray?  The main reason is that my only other copy, the VHS original trilogy widescreen release of, oh, I don't know, fifteen years ago, is deteriorating.  I would like to be able to show my kids the movies, even the adulterated ones, without having to scrounge up a videocassette player in a junk shop or on eBay (actually, I still have a VHS player, which has held up nicely over the years despite getting essentially zero use for the past 5-10 years).  So I'll accept an additional Darth Vader "nooooooo!" if I have to, but don't ask me to like it.

In other news, George Lucas is readying the release of a 3-D version of Star Wars.  Just in case you wanted to see Jar Jar and Watto wandering around your living room.  At least when the 3-D fad dies that version will head to the landfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment