Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Freely Speeching Off

So . . . I have a problem with free speech.  Not the right to it, but rather how that right is misinterpreted.  Freedom to say whatever we want is extremely important in any society.  We can see from our privileged perch here in the western world (not jingoistic at all!) how the lack of this freedom wreaks havoc in other parts of the world.  Unfortunately, though, we are also spoiled by free speech, and not in the way you would expect (e.g. the "fair and balanced" speech of Fox News).  Instead, I have a problem with how the right is understood, and I would be exceeding happy to explain after the jump.

By way of an example, I'll present the recent kerfuffle on The View (controversy starts at around the 2:00 mark), when two of the hosts walked off in protest of Bill O'Reilly not qualifying his statement that Muslims attacked the U.S. on 9/11 (personally I think it is understood that only a tiny fraction of all Muslims attacked the U.S.; to make sure to say that "radical" or "extremist" Muslims attacked the U.S. is unnecessary and underestimates the intelligence of the viewer . . . although we are talking about The View, so perhaps some underestimation is necessary after all).  And no, I don't watch The View, ugh, Sherri Shephard (tune in around the 0:55 mark to see just how dumb she is)?  Come on.  Each host is worse than the last.  Anyway, I gladly digress.  And I would say that it's likely that this is the last post in which I'll link to two clips from The View.

Anyway, I heard the O'Reilly thing being discussed on the Howard Stern Show, and Robin (no intellectual herself) said that it was wrong for Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg to walk off the show, because "we have free speech in this country."  This may be a minor example, but it typifies the wrong attitude towards the right to free speech. 

Basically, people seem to believe that they have a right to be listened to, no matter what they say, which is a very different thing.  O'Reilly absolutely had the right to say what he did, and Joy and Whoopi absolutely had the right to walk off.  I have the right to say anything I want, but I don't have the right to make you listen and pay attention.  Furthermore, free speech is not the same as consequence-free speech.  If I say something hurtful to a friend, they are less likely to be my friend in the future, even though I may have had the right to say it (and it may have been true - still doesn't matter).  If I get up in front of my class and make offensive remarks, I may get fired, despite my freedom of speech.

So like anything else, there are consequences to what we do.  If we send mean e-mails or do terrible things and someone dies as a result (as with what happened with Tyler Clementi last month), freedom of speech is not a defense.  Not to sound like Uncle Ben, but great freedom comes with great responsibility (Spiderman's Uncle Ben, not the rice guy, but who knows, maybe he said the same thing).  And because we can say anything we want, sometimes we aren't judicious in our speech.

Look at the nature of the world nowadays - it's all speech, all the time.  All the social networking sites, twitter feeds, blogs (um . . .) are a big sign saying "pay attention to me!"  Billy Joel's daughter has a pop song called "Notice Me" that is getting lots of top 40 airplay.  Maybe it's because there's too much speech out there that we're all trying harder to be heard.  And of course, it is always the most outrageous blather that gets most noticed (yes, I'm talking to you, Glenn Beck).

So maybe what we should learn from our freedom of speech is to shut up once in a while, or at least exercise our equal right not to listen.  Anyway, back with more blog posts later in the week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment